Last updated: 13 Jun 2023 | 630 Views |
Carbon monoxide (abbreviated as CO) is a colorless, odorless, toxic gas that does not irritate skin or eyes. CO in the air is easily inhaled and absorbed through the lungs. Coagulates better than oxygen to bind to hemoglobin in red blood cells. Hemoglobin is the iron-containing protein present in these cells, carrying oxygen to the tissues of the body. This means that when there is too much monoxide in the environment, less oxygen enters the tissues. Especially to organs that need oxygen the most, such as the brain and heart, CO poisoning causes nearly 4,000 deaths annually in the United States. Poisoning can happen accidentally. Or happened to attempt suicide.